Rhine Castles Pfalzgrafenstein Marksburg Rheinfels Rheinstein Eltz Mosel river Castle Heidelberg Neckar Germany Eifel Hunsruck Taunus mountains Braubach St. Goar Kaub Trechtingshausen Middle Rhine

Vacation package, wine vacation package, hiking, wine tasting, wine hiking

Boat cruise package

Winery Stahl
Weinproben bis 30 Personen im Gewölbe-Weinkeller
Wine list, Wine cellar, Wine tasting

Road map, distances, parking, airport, railway, boat landing stages,

Welcome in
Gasthaus Stahl
Gasthaus Stahl, Hotel, Bed and Breakfast, Oberwesel-Dellhofen near Bacharach on the Rhine river. © 2000 Foto Paul Stahl

Hotel rooms, room rates

Hiking vacation package, hiking trails, hiking trips, walking tours

pfalz-im-rhein-290_01.jpg
Pfalzgrafenstein 
in the Rhine river near Kaub. King Ludwig of Bavaria built the Pfalz in1327 as border protecion. 1338 a 12 meter high wall was built around it with two storeys of gallery walks. Although the castle was modernised in 1607 and 1755. The majoritiy is still from the 14th century. Inside the castle one can view ceramic and tinn items from the 17th to 19th centuries.
Openting times: 1st April to 30th September 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm
1st October to 31st March 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm
closed: December and first work day in the week 
The last ferry crossing from Kaub is one hour before closing time. Big picture

schloss-2-290_01.jpg
Castle Heidelberg above Heidelberg
For five-hundred years in the Heidelberger Schloss resided the ***Pfalzish*** electors of the family Wittelsbacher: Ruprecht I in 1386 founded the University of Heidelberg. Ruprecht II was elected king in 1400. Ottoheinrich introduced the Reformation which caused a dispute over the centuries. This dispute climaxed under Friedreich V, the misfortunate 'Winterkönig' or winter king. 
In the 30-Year War, the city and palace were for the first time destroyed. Friedreich's son, Karl-Ludwig, rebuilt both.
After a further attack of French troops, the palace fell again in rubble and ashes. The elector, Karl-Theodor, who resided in Schwetzingen, and to whom the Heidelbergers owe thanks for the 'Alte Brücke' (old bridge) and the 'Karlstor' (Karl's gateway), tried in vain to make the palace once again inhabitable.
In the end, the French baron, Charles de Graimberg, saved the palace ruins from total destruction. He asserted the old walls no longer served as a quarry. The Heidelberger Palace became the symbol for the Romantic era. The Kings courtroom, in spite of it's gothic interior, dates from the year 1934.
The castle is open the whole year round. 
from Eastern to 31th Oct.: 10am to 7pm(last visit)
from 1st Nov to Easten: 11am to 5pm(last visit)
Guided English tour last 60 min. Big picture

"Gasthaus Stahl is a real gem of a place, in that wonderful, scenic location up in the hills above the Rhine, in classic tiny Dellhofen village, yet only minutes away from the walled cities of Oberwesel and Bacharach, right on the river.
There are enough castles and other places of interest within 30-90 minutes of pleasant driving to keep tourists busy for a long time, but the serenity of the inn itself is the best feature.
The rooms are so classic, yet they have all the modern touches we need. The furnishings and atmosphere of the inn are from times we thought had gone past, and it was great to just soak in the gemutlichkeit! ... "
R J Del Vecchio, Fuquay-Varina, NC
- Big picture

Gewölbe-Weinkeller, © 2000 Foto Paul StahlThe old brick arch wine cellar of the Winery Stahl, in which the wines are stored; the wine grapes are self-grown and the wines are self-made. Wine tasting for groups up to 30 people in the brick arch wine cellar. You'll become a romantic feeling with the lights off and set aglow in candlelight. "The wine tasting at Weingut Stahl is truly educational, with more varieties of flavorful German wines than most Americans ever realize exist. I think that is worth the trip in itself."
R J Del Vecchio, Fuquay-Varina, NC
- Big picture

burg-eltz-hoch-290_01.jpg
Burg Eltz
Eltz Castle is one of the most beautiful and best preserved castles in Germany. It lies in a romantic setting surrounded by an unspoiled landscape, inviting and majestic at the same time - like a fairy-tale castle come to life. You will find history cast in stone and you will feel yourself immersed in the spirit of a past revived - a fascinating view of the different ages of Western (Occidental) culture is waiting for you.
Eltz castle has remained in the possession of the same family for over 800 years. The present owner of the castle, Dr. Karl Graf von und zu Eltz, known as Faust von Stromberg , lives in Eltville/Rhine. The family has had its main German residence there since the beginning of the 19th century. 
Öffnungszeiten/Opening times
1st April - 1st November, daily from 9am to 6pm
Big picture

Marksburg above Braubach
The Marksburg is the only medieval elevated castle that was never distroyed. The controlling position over the Rhine Valley and the excellent structural preservation makes it the most visited castle on the Rhine. From the entire system with their modules and several times graduated kennel walls the development of the of the building can be read off the high-medieval military tower to the bastioned fortress of the earls modern times. With equitment and documents, the life on the medieval castle is well descripted.
The castle is open the whole year round. 
from Eastern to 31st Oct.: 10am to 5pm(last visit)
from 1st Nov to Eastern: 11am to 4pm(last visit)
Guided English tour last 50 min.
Parking in front of the castle.  Big picture

rheinfels-290_01.jpg
Burg Rheinfels above St.Goar
The Rheinfels castle was the most powerful fortress along the Middle Rhine.
Whereas, about only one third of the original structure survived destruction.
During the centuries Burg Rheinfels was the scene of numerous bloody sieges and violent changes of ownership. Only a few years after construction started in 1245 it was able to proof it was invincible, when 27 towns formed an alliance to put an end to Graf Diether von Katzenelnbogen.
He arbitrarily increased the custom duty on the Rhine. 8000 men on foot and 1000 knights supported by 50 ships attempted to capture the castle. They gave up after one year and 14 weeks without making any progress.
Only Napoleon took possession of the castle without a fight in 1796. He had the fortifications and the castle blown up with the exception of a few remains.
The castle belongs to the town of St. Goar since 1925.
Open to the public during the summer season. Big picture

burg-rheinstein-290_01.jpg
Burg Rheinstein above Trechtingshausen
Particularly characteristic of the Rheinland castles is the position on a cliff, 80 meters above the river. First mentioned in 1279, the castle became the property of the influential archbishop of Trier, Kuno von Falkenstein, in the 14th century. At the begining of the 19th century Prince Friedrich of Prussia acquired the ruins and had them rebuilt in psudo-Gothic style. Rheinstein owns a collection of armour and art treasures of the 16th century, which is worth to look at.
English guided tours every day.. Big picture

.
© 1999-2003 www.hotel-rhein-weinproben.com www.hotel-germany-rhine.com www.bacharach-germany.net www.european-vacation.net 
Alle Rechte vorbehalten.  Alle Angaben ohne Gewähr. Änderungen vorbehalten.
Stand: Tuesday, 08. April 2003     URL dieser Seite: http://rhine-castles-germany.european-vacation.net/rhine-river/index.html